Course of the week |
ABC Level 2 Certificate in Arboriculture
This course is designed for those people intending to or working in the arboriculture industry.
This craftsman-level course is ideal for those wishing to start or develop their career in arboriculture. It covers all the theoretical knowledge required in order to achieve the ABC Level 2 Certificate in Arboriculture and the theory part of the RFS Certificate in Arboriculture. You will explore the physiology, selection, planting and aftercare of woody plants and learn about tree surgery, including how to correctly survey trees before starting work. Ecology and the current law that applies to trees are also important themes. It provides a route into a career working with trees – for example as an arborist, tree surgeon or woodland manager – and is also an excellent foundation for further training.
- A course that delivers a good theoretical knowledge of arboriculture leading to an industry recognised qualification endorsed by the Royal Forestry Society
- Flexible home-study learning so you can fit your learning around your work and life
- Quality course material and excellent tutor support – to help you achieve your goals
- Follows the ABC/RFS syllabus with guidance in producing your portfolio, which on completion is externally assessed for the ABC qualification
- If your completed portfolio of coursework achieves the required standard for all 6 units you will receive your ABC Level 2 Certificate in Arboriculture*
- Suitable for both amateurs and professionals who wish to have their work assessed for the ABC Level 2 Certificate in Arboriculture. If you do not wish to achieve this certificate, we recommend you do the The HCC Certificate in Arboriculture course.
- No previous experience needed
How the course works
Your first set of course materials will be sent to you when you enrol. You can start as soon as you want and progress through the course at your own pace (you have 2 years to complete it), studying when and where you choose. This flexibility makes it easy to fit learning around work and family commitments.
The extensive course materials have been developed by arboriculture experts and are clear and straightforward, so your studying is easy and enjoyable. As you complete each lesson, your tutor will promptly return your marked assignment with constructive feedback and guidance. You will be guided in the preparation of your portfolio work. (You can also contact your tutor or the support team for help at any point during your studies.)
The course includes all the required study materials.
What you will learn
ABC Level 2 Certificate in Arboriculture (in partnership with the RFS) – A 6-unit study programme following the ABC/RFS syllabus.
Students must complete the following 5 units:
Unit 1 – The Interaction of Soil Environments and Woody Plants
Unit 2 – Woody Plant Physiology
Unit 3 – The Supply, Planting and Aftercare of Woody Plants
Unit 4 – Principles of Tree Surgery Operations
Unit 5 – Tree inspections and Statute and Common Law Applied to Trees
Plus 1 of the following options:
Unit 6 – Principles of Woodlands, Forestry and Ecology
Unit 7 – Principles of Aerial Surgery
You will be assessed, through a portfolio of completed coursework for the ABC Level 2 Certificate in Arboriculture.
We are proud of our friendly, caring ethos and aim to do all we can to help you succeed.
Our tutors are all experienced, highly qualified and passionate about sharing their love of their subject. You can phone or email your tutor throughout the course – to ask questions, for advice, encouragement or to draw on their wealth of knowledge.
You can also contact the support team who are here to help you Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
If needed you have 2 years to complete the course. Many students are able to complete this course in approximately 12-18 months*.
*Timescales are approximate and depend upon application and motivation.